Dear Wornick Community,
Moadim L'Simcha! It was so wonderful to see you all at our pre-Simchat Torah celebration yesterday! I hope you can all join us along with your family for Kabbalat Shabbat today at 3:30 pm. Please invite your grandparents and special friends.
Please read through this entire message as there is information about:
- Middle School return to on campus learning
- Hot Lunch Program
- Airplane Travel Policy
- Thanksgiving and Winter break
- Student Testing Program
Middle School Families
A) We are writing to you at the end of a full week of integrating our 2nd and 3rd grade students while preparing for the return of our 4th and 5th grade students next week. As we anticipated when we last wrote to you, this Tuesday, San Mateo County completed fourteen consecutive days on the red tier, which allows us to bring our 7th and 8th grade students back for in person learning. We learned this week that we needed to submit an additional request to the County Department of Health to bring back 7th and 8th grade students. While we have not heard back yet about approval, we are optimistic that we will receive it.
Pending approval from the County, we are planning to complete the final phase of our return to on campus learning for our 6th-8th grade students on October 19th. It is important to note that our Health and Safety Task Force determined a threshold for returning to remote learning for our middle school students. If the County is placed in the purple tier again, we will have 7th and 8th grade students return to complete remote learning within a week of that classification. Our 6th grade students will return to complete remote learning within two weeks of that classification. Our rationale is that current research indicates that middle school students can transmit COVID-19 at similar rates as adults. If rates of community spread rise, we want to ensure that we are limiting the possibility of transmission at Wornick.
Ahead of our return to on campus learning of middle school please ensure that you do the following:
- Complete the survey by October 11th at 9:30 pm to indicate whether your student will be learning off-campus or on campus.
- Attend a mandatory orientation on October 15th from 8-9 pm for students and parents in middle school regardless of whether you will be attending in-person or off-campus.
- Review the health and safety protocols in our reopening plan to ensure that you are familiar with our guidelines and requirements for learning at Wornick this year.
- Follow all County guidelines including not engaging in indoor gatherings with those outside of your household, and wearing a mask when outside of your home and you are within six feet of others.
- Receive a flu vaccine if returning to in-person learning before October 15th, and submit receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For ALL Families
B) Our School is exploring the possibility of bringing back our Hot Lunch Program in the coming month. Please fill out the survey if you are learning on campus or plan to return to on campus learning this year to help us plan for the return of hot lunch.
C) This week our Health and Safety Task Force revised our Airplane Travel Policy. Please note that if any member of your home travels via airplane or you have a guest visiting who travelled by airplane, you must keep your students at home for seven days AND all those who travelled via airplane must produce a negative COVID-19 test dated at least seven days after travel. If you do not want your airplane travelers to get a COVID-19 test, the previous time period of fourteen days still applies. Please note it is only the airplane travelers who must be tested. This does not include your student if they did not travel via airplane.
D) In concert with our peer schools, our school is assessing the impact of travel and gatherings during Thanksgiving and Winter break on our on campus learning program. We would appreciate you completing the survey indicating your plans for those breaks to assist us in our planning.
E) Our school is putting the finishing touches on a required COVID-19 student testing program for our on campus learning to complement our weekly staff testing program. We are hoping to announce details of this program in the coming week, please look out for that information.