Main Menu

Explore More

Logo Image


Adam Eilath

Dear Wornick Community,

As you may have seen in the news this week, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) provided an update on the current status of the coronavirus (COVID-19). We wanted to share with you some of the steps Wornick is taking to prevent the spread of illness on our campus, as well as our plan for the possible spread of the coronavirus in our community. 

While there is much discussion in the media about the coronavirus, the CDC confirmed that there is not a pandemic in the United States. Currently, the number of cases in the US is still quite small. However, given the rapidly changing global situation, we are continually monitoring new developments and evaluating our steps and actions daily. 

Last night, we communicated with 8th grade families that we made the difficult decision to postpone the 8th grade Israel trip, which was set for this Sunday, March 1. Yesterday, Israel issued a travel advisory to its citizens not to travel outside the country. Given the unknowns, and the unpredictability of decisions Israel might make regarding quarantines or lockdowns, we were compelled to postpone the trip and are hoping to be able to reschedule it. 

At this time, we do not plan on cancelling other trips. We will continue to evaluate our overnight trips and field trips on a case by case basis, and should they proceed, we will implement increased hygiene precautions. 

In the meantime, the most effective way to stay healthy and minimize the spread of infectious disease is to follow basic health best practices like: 

  • Enforcing great hygiene, like washing hands thoroughly and covering up coughs/sneezes
  • Asking all faculty, staff, and students who are feeling ill to stay home until they recover
  • Keeping any immunocompromised students or family members at home

Our teachers will be reviewing effective handwashing and hygiene reminders with our students. 

We are evaluating all of our procedures and planning for all options, should the situation in the Bay Area change. We continue to coordinate our efforts and planning with other independent schools, CAIS, and NAIS. We are thinking through all possible scenarios, up to and including remote learning, should that be necessary. We will communicate any changes or developments, as appropriate. 

We will follow any directives from the World Health Organization, CDC, or local governmental organizations, and appreciate your cooperation supporting us in our efforts to do so.

We thank you for your partnership as we work together as a community to support the health and safety of our students. We will continue to update you.